Friday, May 2, 2014

Twitter Chat with Bradley Bethel 5/1/2014

Last night, I injected myself into the end of a Twitter-exchange between Bradley Bethel and Dr. Jay Smith, latching onto a comment Mr. Bethel had posted as his debate with Dr. Smith ended. He was kind enough to entertain my elenctic questioning where I sought to nail down his reasons for why he's been quite critical of the faculty in the academic scandal at UNC, but not the athletic support staff or the university administration.

I'm new to Twitter, being more used to threaded dialogues and debates on community message boards or Web-based bulletin boards; not to mention the frustration of trying to be concise in 140 characters or less without losing the essence of what I want to convey.

In the light of the next day, I wanted to revisit what Bradley and I had discussed, but found it hard to see it all in context from the Twitter display.  So, I've reconstructed the chain of comments here. I don't think either of us altered our position, but it was engaging and I hope this won't be the last.


Bradley Bethel
: Jay, you want Athletics and ASPSA held accountable; when will you demand deans held accountable? 
Bethel: To be clear, I point out deans' culpability because educational quality important to me...not because I am merely defending Athletics. I am an educator, not a fan. 
Bob Martin: Was the educational quality for some student athletes at UNC broken before you arrived? 
Bethel: Deans unaware of paper classes for a decade means educational quality was compromised for all students. 
Bethel: In other words, UNC scandal was a banal academic scandal rather than the sensational athletics scandal propagated by media. 
Martin: So that would be a yes. It was broken. And the fault for that rests squarely with the faculty. That's your position? 
Bethel: I wouldn't say "squarely." Athletics had problems, too. Many were complicit in neglect; so far no evidence of malfeasance. 
Martin: No culpability on part of athletic department or academic support? Not athletic department? Not ASPSA? Not administration? 
Bethel: So far, no evidence of malfeasance. That's my point. Maybe Wainstein proves otherwise. Until then, presume innocence. 
Martin: So...UNC athletics/ASPSA was complicit in neglect, but no evidence of malfeasance. No penalty deserved for that failure? 
Bethel: ASPSA counselors believed professor was exercising his right to teach as he wanted; deans' tacit approval confirmed ASPSA belief. 
Martin: How do you know that? Why isn't clustering of athletes in anomalous classes "tacit" complicity of academic support staff? 
Bethel: Fallacious reasoning. ASPSA counselors presented choices; some athletes, not all, chose AFAM. 
Martin: Again, how do you know these things about the honest intentions of the academic support staff before you arrived, yet... 
Martin: ...yet, you ascribe fault to faculty, dean and even student-athletes now for what was broken. ASPSA and AD just negligent? 
Bethel: I've seen ASPSA staff's dedication to educating students. Again, no evidence of malfeasance on either academics or athletics side. 
Bethel: Correction: Besides Nyang'Oro and Crowder, no evidence of malfeasance. 
Bethel: Deans didn't know but should have; ASPSA staff believed Nyang'Oro was within rights, based on deans' tacit approval. 
Martin: Scoreboard: JN and DB = malfeasance. Dean/Faculty = negligent. SAs=culpable. Athletic dept.= negligent. ASPSA = innocent? 
Bethel: I never said athletes were culpable. Like non-athletes, some chose AFAM classes for legitimate reasons; some chose as easy way. 
Martin: But I'm asking about what was broken. If SAs were taking the classes that were anomalous and choice was theirs=complicit. No? 
Bethel: For the last time, Wainstein may prove some guilty, but until then presume innocence. 
Martin: Can we presume negligent? 
Bethel: No. Athletes and non-athletes alike probably believed just as counselors did: professors have the right to teach as they want. 
Martin: Clustering in an anomalous course is symptomatic of something wrong, but neither SAs nor advisors can be faulted. Who then? 
Bethel: Here's some reading for you: http://t.co/qSyc7oQVEr  I've enjoyed this chat.

The discussion ended at this point, until I followed up the next morning after trying to read the article Bradley had recommended:


Martin: Not a subscriber. Can't access the article. 
Bethel: The point of the article is that the concept of faculty autonomy had become sacrosanct and pervasive at UNC 
Martin: "Has become." But  I was challenging you for answers on culpability for state of affairs prior to all this. 
Bethel: No, the article was about the past, during the years of the scandal. 
Martin: No way to read without a subscription? 
Martin: Found a partial reprint. Do the first 11 paragraphs provide the gist of it? 
Martin: Found a complete reprint. Reading now. 
Martin: Read it twice. U pointed me to it in response to my ? about S-A clustering in there. Not seeing relevance.

And that's where we ended.

The article Bradley suggested I read can be found here.